Golden Gate Park
San Francisco Places to Visit
Looking for hotels near Golden Gate Park? Golden Gate Park is located just 5 minutes from our San Francisco hotel, on the west side of downtown San Francisco. It is 1,017 acres (20% bigger than New York's Central Park) and has 13 million visitors annually making it the third most visited city park in the United States. There is never a shortage of things to do near our San Francisco hotel.
Other major attractions include:
- The Conservatory of Flowers is a large botanical greenhouse built of wood and glass. After a series of fires and a wind storm in 1995 that destroyed much of the building, The Conservatory of Flowers reopened in 2003. It houses tropical, aquatic and carnivorous plants. The de Young Museum, home to American art from the 17th to the 21st century.
- The de Young Museum is home to American art from the 17th to the 21st century and Collections including the American Sculpture and Decorative Art exhibit, African Art, Oceanic Art, the Jolika Collection of New Guinea art, the Anderson Graphic Arts Collection and others. It reopened with a new design in 2005 after being damaged by the 1989 earthquake.
- The Japanese Tea Garden is the oldest public Japanese garden in the U.S. Included on the 5 acres, there is a pagoda, sculptures, bridges, Zen garden and Tea House.
- The California Academy of Sciences is one of the largest natural history museums in the world and includes the Steinhart Aquarium, the Morrison Planetarium, and Kimball Natural History. The Academy of Sciences carries exhibits of reptiles and amphibians, astronomy, prehistoric life, various gems and minerals, earthquakes, and aquatic life.
There are also many activities to participate in at Golden Gate Park:
- Rent a paddle boat, rowboat, or electric boat at Stow Lake.
- The Children's Playground includes a 1912 carousel.
- Play soccer, Frisbee, football, or just catch some rays at Polo Field (Golden Gate Park Stadium).
- Enjoy the tulip gardens and Dutch-styled windmills.
- Watch model yachts sail on Spreckels Lake.
- Watch the small herd at the bison paddock.
- Enjoy music at the Bandshell (Spreckels Temple of Music).
- Rent rollerblades, jog, or bike.
Visit the official Golden Gate Park website by clicking here.
Walking Directions (about 20 minutes):
1 mile from Metro Hotel - Depart the hotel and head north on Divisadero Street, at Oak Street turn left, follow Oak Street along the Golden Gate Park panhandle until you reach the main area of the park.